Do you ever have issues sleeping at night? If so, it may be linked to an underlying condition known as sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder that occurs when your breathing patterns are interrupted as you sleep. This can be a severely debilitating condition that can lead to serious health problems including stroke, diabetes, heart failure, and depression. Facts about sleep apnea include:
– Sleep apnea is often most common in individuals over the age of 40.
– Risk factors for sleep apnea include being male or overweight. In addition, if you have large tonsils, a large tongue, or a small jaw, you can also be at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Common risk factors for sleep apnea include a family history of it, nasal obstructions, a deviated septum, allergies and sinus problems, and other environmental factors that can increase your risk for the disorder.
– Numerous treatments exist to help individuals who are suffering from sleep apnea, including adjusting your sleep schedules, CPAP devices, oral appliances, and surgical procedures.
– Two common forms of sleep apnea are obstructive sleep apnea which is caused by a blocked airflow, and central sleep apnea, which is caused by brain signals not reaching their desired targets in the breathing muscles.
If you are interested in a sleep apnea treatment from James C. Ma at our dentist office in Tulare, California, call us at 559-688-4111. Dr. James C. Ma and our team look forward to providing you with sleep apnea care.